Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Randomness: Conformity

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.  If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened.  But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." 
~ Friedrich Nietzsche



Yesterday, just before leaving work an old friend invited me to a drinking night at her home and I respectfully declined since I honestly do not enjoy drinking.  That should have been the end of our conversation.  Instead she attempted to peer pressure me into coming over.  However, there is a reason we stopped hanging out years ago.  I grew out of drinking with the same people on the same day of every night.  Six years ago I would have jumped like a puppet and been there a day early.  Not so much anymore.


Alcohol has done nothing for me except bring me a lot of heartache from boyfriends, family members, and friends.  Loads of very serious bad situations that I will not elaborate on publicly.  Then to top things off drinking has never really agreed with my system.  I enjoy a beer every now and then, but I honestly cannot drink more then two 12 oz bottles in one sitting and by time I get halfway through the second I am gagging.  I enjoy wine and champagne but I fall asleep very quickly after one glass.  It would be wonderful as a sleep aid if I had single serves around.  Shots are a big no no for me as they always make me sick.  Mixed drinks I can handle in moderate consumption.


However, my decision to not over indulge (or indulge at all at times) seems to be a problem for some people.  Why?  What does it matter if I have soda or vodka?  What difference does it make to you?  The way this evening played out, it seemed as though I insulted this person by saying that I don't really drink anymore.  I don't care that she does.  To each his own.  I don't understand why people make such a big deal out it.  It's my decision and it affects me alone.  It doesn't ruin anyone's fun.  I have found that I have a much better time out when I am not drinking even if other people are.


The peer pressure thing did not sit well with me.  I don't like feeling pressured to conform to anyone's standards of what I should be doing with my free time.  When I questioned a different person about why people find my choices insulting the response was because I am not engaging in activities that many people enjoy.  So because I don't follow the same path, have the same interests, and enjoy spending my time differently I am insult to the people around me?  Talk about adding insult to injury.  I am not a conformist and the more anyone pressures me to do something the more I will rebel from the idea even if I was initially considering it.  It's fine for the rest of the tribe, but I am individual and not a conformist.


"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common."
~ John Locke

2 comments:

  1. I say good for you. Keep it up. If people don't let you be you, then they don't get to have you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I don't judge what others choose to do. Guess I am just a bit more accepting.

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!