Saturday, October 15, 2011

New York Comic Con Day 2

I am going to attempt to make this blog as short and sweet as possible since it's quarter to 1:00am here in New York and I have to be up again tomorrow at about 5.  eek.  Sleep seems to be unnecessary these days.


My day started with me hightailing it over to J Scott Campbell's booth.  I adore his work, like many people, and last time I saw him I was ridiculously shy and awkward.  He canceled last year and I really wanted to meet him again.  He really is a great guy.  Very friendly and approachable.  So I got there and there was a line already of course, but Campbell had not arrived yet at 10am.  Campbell did arrive close to 11am and all together I, plus two friends that I made on line, waited two and a half hours to see him, but it is worth it.  If you go to a show and there is one person you really want to see and have to wait that amount of time for it's more then worth it.  Especially when they have the right attitude.

I spent the rest of the day chatting with various artists.  Make a quick stop over to my friend Billy Tucci.  I spent some time with David Mack, who is also a sweetheart.  I also met the creator of The Crow who was chatting with David.  Please don't be upset that I do not know his name as I have never read or seen The Crow.  I know I am an absolute awful teen of the 90's.  I also finally got to meet Talent Caldwell today.  Another favorite of mine who I had not yet caught at an East Coast convention.  Yet again another great guy with a fabulous personality.  Stopped by Joe Benitez who was busy sketching but stopped to sign some cards and books for me.  I also spent a bit of time at the Zenescope booth palling around with Raven Gregory and Eric Basaldua.

Todays highlight though has to be when I got to meet Joe Quesada. Which was really a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  I happened to walk by Marvel and nothing much was happening and I saw Joe at the table giving an interview with a few fans to the side.  I asked the fans if they were in line and if he was going to be signing soon, which of course was yes.  So I popped in the line making me number four.  Again making up for the amount of time I waited for Campbell.  I would think on a busier day or possibly at a different time Quesada would normally have a huge line of fans waiting and I would not have jumped on to have one card signed.  He is also very personable.  He took a photo with me and showed no signs of shyness at shaking fans hands.  I would think when you get to the position he is in a person gets a bit germaphobic but Quesada was more then happy to shake hands.  Getting to meet him makes me wish I had lugged my NYX book around with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!