Saturday, October 29, 2011

Suicide Girls...

I was just looking at some pictures on the Suicide Girls facebook page and even though I see their pictures pop up regularly I don't normally take a glance through.  I have to say it is very refreshing to see women of different body types.  I am so used to seeing stick thin models that when I see someone thicker skinned it take me a few minutes to register it.


I came across this picture and I absolutely think this girl is stunning.  Its a great angle on her face and she is certainly not a big girl at all, but thicker then the average model.  It got me to thinking about how well Suicide Girls markets women with beauty that is far more unique then the average fashion shot.  I like it.

With a vibrant, sex positive community of women (and men), SuicideGirls was founded on the belief that creativity, personality and intelligence are not incompatible with sexy, compelling entertainment, and millions of people agree. The site mixes the smarts, enthusiasm and DIY attitude of the best music and alternative culture sites with an unapologetic, grassroots approach to sexuality.
In the same way Playboy Magazine became a beacon and guide to the swinging bachelor of the 1960s, SuicideGirls is at the forefront of a generation of young women and men whose ideals about sexuality do not conform with what mainstream media is reporting. ~ from the Suicide Girls website
Jackolantern's Weather
(c) 2007 Nick Lastorka
This is my favorite
of Nick's paintings.
They have been around since 2001 and I have known about them for sometime.  For as long as I have been attending the NYCC they have been a staple exhibitor.  However, this year they were absent except for one of their models being present with her own booth.  Suicide Girls was brought to my attention last winter when my friend Nick Lastorka suggested a pose from Suicide Girls for a water color painting of me.  What struck me about this was that he had no interest in the sexuality behind many of their photos but was interested in a pose that showcased the back muscles which I had at the time (thank you circus class).  Unfortunately this painting will never exist as Nick passed away from complications of a car accident just a few weeks after the photos were taken.

Anyway, my point was just to commend Suicide Girls for showcasing women beyond the glamor ideal.  I imagine many of their models on an average day I might not find beautiful (this is by no means meant to be an insult), but that is the beauty of the camera.  Finding the inner beauty.  One of the things I enjoy about hiking and photography is finding something beautiful and extraordinary where no one else might have thought to look and I think that is exactly the niche Suicide Girls is filling for the pin up model set.  Brava!

http://suicidegirls.com

http://nicklastorka.com - Nick's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!