Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Women of Wonder Day & Superhero Weekend Charity Auction

What am I doing this Halloween weekend?  I most definitely will not be bar hopping, at costume contests, parties, or lounging at home.  I will be a volunteer cosplayer at the annual Women of Wonder/Superhero Weekend Charity Auction at Comic Fusion in Flemington, NJ for the benefit of SAFE in Hunterdon.  SAFE is a an organization that offers support and education to victims of domestic and sexual violence by means of a 24 hour hotline, housing, legal advocacy, crisis intervention, counseling and children's art therapy. 

This is the 6th annual Woman of Wonder Day (10-30-11).  The last five years have raised a total of over $110,000 with all proceeds benefits Domestic Violence Charities.  This year events will be taking place in Portland OR, San Antonio TX, and Flemington NJ.  Over 250 original pieces of art will be auctioned off this weekend between the three events.


Locations and dates of the three events:
Excalibur Comics, 2444 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, Oregon
Sunday, October 30, 2011 – noon-6pm, FREE

Comic Fusion, 42 Main St., Flemington, New Jersey
Saturday and Sunday, October 29-30, 2011 – noon-5pm, FREE

Heroes and Fantasies, 4945 NW Loop 410, San Antonio, Texas
Sunday, October 30, 2011 — noon-5pm — FREE


WomenOfWonderDay.com 

Comic Fusion: Superhero Weekend Charity Auction Details - here is all the information on the event I will be at including all items up for auction, signings, internet bidding, etc.

SAFE in Hunterdon's Website - just in case you might be interested in learning more about the charity.

I grew up in a home that was violent and abusive physically, mentally, and emotionally.  In high school I spent several days in a community shelter and it's not something I talk about often but it still has an impact who I am as a person.  I am still healing from damage that was done to me as a child and I am still learning just how much damage was done.  As an adult I wound up in an abusive relationship and because of the things I learned as a child I was able to leave the relationship relatively unscathed though I still have post-traumatic stress from it. Although, over the last two years I have been able to control it more.

Four years ago I was at a bar on Halloween weekend, my then boyfriend (who was extremely drunk) threw me into the bar.  You know that kind of pull where its not a drag or a little tug but a violent rip your arm out of the socket pull and throw?  It was one of those.  It's not friendly and I wasn't happy about it.  When we finally left the bar after being coaxed by mutual friends, he turned around and swung at my face point blank.  He missed me and was thrown onto the concrete by his male friends.  I haven't been to a bar on Halloween weekend since, nor do I plan on doing so again.  That was the first time that had ever happened to me and it was the first of a series of violent actions.  Yet I stayed with the guy for two years after before finally walking away.

This event is taking place at a very important time of year for me.  What better way to celebrate my own freedom from violence then on the weekend that started an awful violent relationship by volunteering at an event benefiting other Domestic Violence victims?  I can't think of a better way to spend Halloween weekend and I hope to continue to do so as long as they will let me be a part of this event.

Anyway,  if you are in the area, please come by and show your support.  There will be signings by some creators, auctions for some really fabulous pieces of art, and of course photo opportunities with costumed super-heros.  I have to say I just saw the pieces (online) for the auction and I was pretty wowed at the amount of artists and the caliber of the artists.  I always get awe struck when I see amazing things being donated for a greater good.

I would like to thank Amber Love and Stacy Korn for allowing me to be a part of this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!