Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Honey

It allergy season and it's in full swing.  I keep hearing all sorts of sniffles and sneezes, watery and itchy eyes, headaches and earaches and everything else associated with allergies.


On the fan page today I mentioned my left eye was itchy and I joking referred to the superstition that it means someone is about to disappoint me.  Could superstition be more VAGUE?  I mean really.  People disappoint me almost daily.  Ugh!  The idea of my itchy eye being due to allergies was brought up and to be honest this had not occurred to me.  I don't associate it with allergies because I don't get allergy symptoms.

Weird right?  Well not really.

I don't remember ever being afflicted with allergy symptoms until I was in my 20's.  Often when people muttered about allergies I had no idea what they were talking about since I had never experienced them. I also do not suffer from sinus infections.  I do however still have this stupid EBV and by the looks of it possibly CFS but my MD won't consider that until the EBV has been active for over a year.  I am tired of being tired and sick with head aches and nausea.  Oh well.

One of my favorite foods is honey.  I absolutely love honey.  I like honey in oatmeal, on toast, in tea, on ice cream, baked in cookies, honey sticks, honey hard candies, honey lip balm/gloss (Urban Decay's Lip Love is my favorite), chicken salad with honey, honey and peanut butter, honey and banana, anything with honey.... and I definitely can eat it alone.  Don't tempt me because I can.

Turns out there is a theory that honey helps allergies.  Honey is absolutely amazing for the body.  It's an energy booster, helps the immune system, and it's even good for your skin.

I have long used honey as a face wash.  I kid you not.  I have a jar of buckwheat honey (do not eat buckwheat honey) that I keep in my bathroom.  I have some of the jar in a squeeze bottle.  I had heard that dark honey is the best to use on your skin so through research I stumbled across buckwheat.  However, I couldn't find buckwheat by me because it's not very tasty so why would local honey producers sell buckwheat?  There is not much of a market for it.  I found it when I went to Wizard World Philadelphia for the first time back in 2008 in the market terminal.  There is a great little shop in there that sells nothing but honey products.  All sorts of honey.  I mean every type of honey.  Summer honey, autumn honey, winter honey, orange blossom honey, wild berry honey, honey sticks, honey candles (which are too beautiful to dare burn), honey lotion, etc... They sell buckwheat honey.  Yes yes yes!

Over the years my honey mask has turned into buckwheat honey with dissolved aspirin.  Take three non-coated aspirin add a few drops of water and them sit a minute.  They will break about into gritty little pieces.  Mix in some honey and volia amazing facial scrub!  The aspirin exfoliates and it also has natural salicylic acid so it helps reduce redness and breakouts.  Try it once and you will be hooked.  Just don't over do it.  I only use this scrub once a week maximum.  Much like the body can become none responsive to aspirin in the body it can become non responsive to the benefits of the scrub if over used.

Anyway though I do admit that there is NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE I still believe that my obsessive consumption of honey helps my allergies.  Two winters ago I started drinking lots of tea with honey.  I didn't drink it for anything more then wanting to keep warm in the morning as my office can be quite cold during the winter months.  I put a lot of honey in my tea.  I have it worked out to a system where I have my tumbler and I put three to four packets into it.  People watch me and ask why I don't use the bottled honey.  I actually like the taste of Kraft honey better and I don't have to stand there waiting for the honey to drizzle out and hope I put enough in or get annoyed that I mucked it by putting a touch too much in.

Since I started drinking tea and honey almost about as obsessively as I eat honey alone and allergies I had went away.  But honey has tons of other benefits... go do a google search of your own or just take a look at this site: Benefits of Honey
 
After all this tea and honey talk I think I am going to go find a use for some honey so I can eat some.  :o)
I am licking my lips already....

You would think I like Winnie-the-Pooh with my honey ways, but I never cared for Pooh much.