Monday, October 22, 2012

NYCC: Fluttershy Reactions at Kids Day

So here is where I talk about my experience as Fluttershy.


I appeared as My Little Pony's Fluttershy on Sunday of NYCC.  When being told, several of my industry friends thought I was going a little batty.  Granted I am a long time fan of the brand but the cosplay had more to do with having fun and being kid friendly then my personal fandom.

NO WAY... No.
It's like a dinosaur stuffed
in a mascot outfit.
My friends skepticism was silenced when they saw the cosplay.  I am sure they saw something very unusual in their minds.  I had one friend ask me when I first started planning this cosplay if I was going to paint myself yellow.  Nope.  I am sure some had a vision of a mascot outfit.  I cosplay, I am not a furry.  That's all well and good for them, but it is not for me.

I had some anxiety about the cosplay as it was supposed to be a group cosplay, but I wound up being a solo pony.  It's always a little easier to do something out of the comfort zone with other people, but many times I wind up being the lone brave person.  Oh well, it was worth the risk.  Plus I met two pony's at the show!

The cosplay was very well received.  Better then I expected.  People love My Little Pony.  People of all ages.  I was mostly approached by excited children and teenagers.  One kid kept coming back and hugging me, over and over again.  I am pretty sure that is how I wound up sick but it was worth it.  I had a little girl tell me that Fluttershy is her favorite and she collects everything Fluttershy.  I made sure to tell her she could have a picture but she couldn't take me home.

Several con goers took photos and then asked me what I was cosplaying as which made me giggle.  It's similar to my reaction to anime.  The cosplays are great but I have no idea who any of the characters are.  Yet even though they did not know who I was costumed as they still really liked the costume.  I don't get offended when people do not know my character.  I am more then happy to let them know.

I am very happy I went on a limb and chose to do this cosplay for Kids Day.  Last year I had planned on cosplaying Supergirl on Kids Day, but I wound up not cosplaying like so many of us do because I was tired.  This year I had the opposite experience.  I have said many times that what hooked me on cosplay was the reaction of children and Sunday was exactly what I was looking for in regards to children.  The only interaction with children I had the previous days was when I was dressed as Elektra and I told a little girl (after her parents took photos) that I liked her skirt and she hid from me.  I can't blame her.  I would do the same if I were her.  I was terrible on Halloween as a child.  A young boy dressed as Freddie Krueger approached me and I jumped into a bush.  True story.

Fluttershy was a welcome change from the superhero genre.  I got to cosplay and be girly for a day.  If you take a peak at my cosplays this is the only ladylike one of the group.  Even Calie is a rough girl.

I do want to take a minute to say that looking through post convention photos on various sites I am a bit appalled by some of the risque MLP cosplays that were present.  I do get that whole "lets make some random character extra sexy" (also not my thing), but I think it's inappropriate for MLP.  It might be okay for that Halloween party you're getting ready for though.

I am not sure if or when I will wear the costume again.  I don't plan on attending any anime conventions anytime soon.  I do need to get a new corset as the one I was wearing is much too small for me.  Who knows maybe next year I will wind up going to BronyCon after all.  In fact, I think that might be a biannual convention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!