Saturday, November 3, 2012

Dorothy Gale and Oz

I announced on my fan page that I will be attempting six new cosplays this upcoming year.  One of them is Dorothy Gale.  Remember my ruby toned glitter heals I made last year?  They were red for a reason.



So I have been spending this morning researching Dorothy’s costume.  It seems to be tricky finding a head to toe picture of Judy Garland in the final movie costume.  I found quite a few images of the test costume and the original costume.  But I keep noticing new things about Dorothy, like she has blue socks.  I never realized this.  I always thought they were white.

As I am looking through costume photos I keep seeing retail costumes and the more I see the more annoyed I get with the incorrect details on very simple things.  Dorothy’s pinafore buttons at the waist not at the bust line.  Not to mention the wrong collars, but even I am dreading that neck line.  I don't like anything being to close around my neck or I feel like I am choking.

I also found that there is only one known complete costume from the movie still around.  This is why when you go to Planet Hollywood they have the pinafore but the wrong blouse.

Did you know the original costume and makeup design for Dorothy is much different from what we have come to know an love?  The original final costume was a baby blue pinafore with gingham detail.  The blouse had a peter pan collar and a blue tie.  Plus Dorothy had a long blonde wig and lots of make up making her look much less innocent and young.

I am excited about this cosplay.  I have the heals.  I don't need a wig and if I do use one I have it already.  The hair ties will be from the remains of the sold Bo Peep costume.  I am really excited to pick up a wicker picnic basket!  I have a picnic basket that I have never used, but it's not wicker.

I am very close to running to the store and picking up the DVD so I can watch The Wizard of Oz right now.  So close.

Oh one of the other things I learned about the OZ books is that they were inspired by Alice in Wonderland.  Ahhh... so similar for a reason.  I thought briefly last night that in ways I am like Dorothy, but I tend to lean towards Alice.  The difference between the two is that Baum didn't like the Victorian ideals of children acting as adults and wanted Dorothy to be a child and interact with Oz the way a typical child would.  Thing is, in Carroll's time children were expected to act like adults.  So it wasn't a far stretch from how children were at the time.  Last winter I read Alice (I talked about it in this blog) a historical fiction story about the real Alice Liddle.  However, Dorothy Gale is a fictional character possibly named after Baum's niece Dorothy Gage who passed away during infancy.

Who is your favorite Oz character?  Mine is actually the Wicked Witch of the West.  I also really like Ozma and Billina (who doesn't love a sassy talking chicken).

"I’ve always taken ‘The Wizard of Oz’ very seriously, you know. I believe in the idea of the rainbow. And I’ve spent my entire life trying to get over it." 
~ Judy Garland ~

Glitter Heal Tutorial 

I am finding this so interesting seeing the process the costume went through.
Much different from my glitter heals but a nice close up anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!