Sunday, March 31, 2013

Movies: GI Joe: Retaliation



I haven’t seen “Rise of the Cobra,” but when we were offered the opportunity to see Retaliation at a special preview night my friend and I jumped at the opportunity. 


Let’s face it, even if the movie isn’t so great there is an awful lot of eye candy to keep us entertained.

I won’t pretend that I have ever been a huge GI Joe fan.  I was a girly girl as a child and other then being an action figure I had no concept of GI Joe in my life growing up.  I didn’t watch the cartoon and I have never read the comics.  I did (in my early 20’s) own a Sargent Slaughter action figure.  Beyond that I have no history of GI Joe.  I never disliked the Joe’s though.  Reminder, I also have not seen Rise of the Cobra.

I loved Retaliation.  I enjoyed it so much that I wouldn’t mind seeing it a second time. 

This was the very first time I have seen a live action movie in 3D and actually thought it was enjoyable in 3D.  I usually don’t notice the difference and I think 3D has just become the new norm but to the movie industry it’s still a gimmick to produce more ticket sales.  This movie was made to be in 3D because of the type of action and weapons involved.  Ninja Stars and daggers come out flying across the screen.

I liked the story.  I thought it was entertaining and well developed.  I liked the relationship the characters had with each other and the male/female mix.  I really loved the strong female characters in a typically male genre.  Both Jinx and Lady Jaye deliver strong characters that prove to be essential to the story.

One thing I noticed after the fact that I really liked was even with the amount of weapon use and death that there is very little blood and gore.  No dramatic death scenes.  This is a plus in my book as I often think blood and gore is another gimmick and a distraction.  It’s usually unnecessary.

I liked the relationship between The Rock and Channing Tatum.  Skai Jackson was adorable as one of Roadblocks daughters.  It’s nice to see her in a role other than being a protagonist on Jessie even if it was only for a few minutes.  She’s an adorable little girl.  Unfortunately, she was not credited.  She’s 9 and she has been acting since she was 3, but maybe you need to be a little older to be credited on GI Joe?  Make no mistake the younger daughter is Skai without a doubt.  I recognized her voice immediately.
There is one thing I really did not like.  Some of the scenes were filmed with an object or a person blocking a portion of the screen with the front object highly blurred while the background is in focus.  I understand that the focal point is the background but was it necessary to block out half the screen and sometimes more than half?  Let’s not forget that we don’t see things in drastic focus like this so it came across as unusual to me and distracting. 

SPOILER ALERT!
 I LOVE Storm Shadow.  Absolutely loved him.  I enjoy that he is a Cobra but still has an opinion of his own and regardless of his affiliation he does the right thing to help save humanity.  That scene between Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes was amazing.  I am sure many of you had already seen it (like I did) as a sneak peak trailer.  One that was so good I didn’t mind that I had already seen it and got giddy watching it once more.  Let not forget how Snakes Eyes breaks Cobra Commander out in style.

My favorite scene was when General Joe and Lady Jaye save the president.  Specifically, when people are being shot and a man falls down a flight of stairs as though he has been shot only to be General Joe throwing a curve ball as the Presidents captors.

Bruce Willis and his quips were excellent.  I enjoyed Adrianne’s reaction every time he called her Brenda which was clearly to ruffle her feathers.

I really enjoyed this movie.  I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  It’s a lot of fun.  Of course I can’t compare to the cartoon or comics, but as a typical moviegoer I thought it was great!