Saturday, May 25, 2013

Stretch Interfacing

Yesterday, I went on a mad hunt for stretch interfacing.


I have been working on creating the mask (hood) for White Rabbit.  The original mask that I made curls at the eyes and has quite a few fixed errors.  That’s what happens when you’re doing something for the first time though.   What’s great is I can use it to pattern the second mask and have less error.  The bright side of failure!  I have no problem admitting I have no idea what I am doing with this hood and figuring it out as I go.  That’s the fun of costuming though.

So being disappointed with the curling by the eyes, I needed to find a way to prevent that.  The idea of stretch interfacing popped into my head.  I wasn’t sure if such a product existed.  So I tried contacting a few friends.  I did some internet research and it does exist.  Getting my hands on it was trickier.  I called the two local fabric shops (after seeing that their online store has an elastic fusible interfacing) and both of them had never heard of such a product.  I was willing to trek out into a very rainy New York City today to hit up the garment district in my search for this stretch fusing.  Before doing so I stopped in Walmart and they actually had two types of stretch interfacing!  So I purchased a yard of each and wound up spending only $7.00 for both instead of a $25 train ride on top of whatever I found in the garment district.  Savings!

Here is the result of my testing the interfacings out!  I really like them so far!