Monday, June 24, 2013

Tutorial: White Rabbit Venetian Mask

Way back in the beginning of 2013, I was invited into a circus inspired Batman Villain group.  I may not be a big DC fan, but they had me at circus.


It’s because of being in the group that I put together the standard White Rabbit costume.  Prior to having her ready, I already had Cirque White Rabbit finished except for the mask.  After being inspired by my friends beautiful masks, I finally knew what direction I wanted to take this mask in.

I had already purchased a papier-mâché mask from Michael’s long ago.  I knew that was the mask I wanted to work with I just wasn’t sure what to do with it.  Everything I used for this mask I already owned from previous projects.  I only had to pick up the pink ribbon for the ties.

I completed this project in about 2 hours.  That’s how easy it is.

Supplies I used:
I did not use everything in this
picture.  I grabbed a bunch of
items and got crafty.
  • Mardi Gras base mask
  • Pencil
  • Something to cut your mask with (I wound up using manicure scissors)
  • Petal Pink Tulip Soft Matte Paint (apparently fabric paint but it worked just fine)
  • Liquitex Acrylic Paint in Titanium White (I suggest anything that says heavy base, I worked with Basics)
  • Peel & Stick Painting Stencils
  • Paint Brushes
  • Pink Glitter
  • Various small jewels
  • Mod Podge Jewel Glue
  • Ribbon
  • Lighter (or matches)
  • Of course something to work on top of, paper towels and whatever you chose to put you working paint in.

First thing is to take a look at how the mask sits on your face.  Mine was too big in the nose.  It’s still a bit big in the cheeks but I left the space because I knew I would be painting in the space.  Draw the proper shape of the mask.  In my case this was just bringing the nose up and then making sure the drop down to the cheeks was symmetrical.


Cut the mask.  Cutting papier-mâché is not easy.  My friend uses a Dremel.  I tried using my Dremel cutter but it did not really cut the mask.  I think I need a different attachment for papier-mâché.  I then tried my paper scissors to little luck.  Then I went for my manicure scissors since even though they are not very sharp (because they are super old) they are rather small.  Being extra careful I was able to cut the mask with them.  I then took the Dremel out once more and used the sander around the edges.  The edges didn’t smooth out perfectly but it’s okay because the edges wound up covered.


Next I painted the mask pink and let it dry for a bit.  The paint I chose air dries pretty fast.


Then I started adding the jewels to the top of the mask.  I started from the center and worked my way around each side.


While the top jewels dried I opened up the Peel & Stick stencils.  I painted the WR and the card icons with the white paint and a dab of glitter.



I then outlined the eyes in white paint.  I did not use glitter in the eye area.  I have enough trouble with my contacts and glitter is not getting near my eyes if I can help it.  I lined the eyes and then added a drop down the nose and the swirl in the top outer corner of the eye.


Next I started adding jewels to the bottom of the mask.  This time I worked my way evenly from the corners out.  I was not sure just how many jewels I had of the size I had been using.  Turns out, I was right and I did not have enough to finish the bottom of the mask.  I ran out just before the nose which was the perfect spot.  I began using a size smaller to finish the outline.

I also added the larger jewels to the outside corner of each eye and the smaller jewels to inner corner of each eye.

The beauty of the jewel glue is that it dries clear. 
It looks odd and even a little sloppy when it's not dry but it dries nice.
The top portion of the mask (on the bottom) is already dry and the glue is clear.
The bottom of the mask (on the top) is fresh glue.

Then I let her dry for a bit, while I went off and started playing Lollipop Chainsaw.

Once dried, I cut the ribbon.  I always cut everything larger then I need it to be.  It’s always a pain working with too little material, so I figure I can always trim down if I need to.  However, when you’re tying a bow when is too much ribbon ever really a problem?  So I cut the ribbon and melted the edges with a lighter.  Threaded the ribbon through, made a small knot close to the edge, and presto!  White Rabbit Venetian Mask!

One side

Two side
You can see how the jewels get smaller at my nos
and how the imperfect edge is not visible.
It was a lot of fun to make and I think more fun because I used things I used already.  I had some additional products I was thinking about using including the beads in a bottle, but I wound up not needing them.  My costume is also ballet pink and white so I didn’t want to add any dark colors if possible.

I think anyone can make one of these.  It’s pretty simple.  You just have to get a bit crafty and think outside the box.

Happy crafting!

The finished mask!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!