Friday, August 16, 2013

Not Really a Tutorial: Fairy Wings

I have had a few people ask how I made my new fairy wings.  Here is my response.

First, I have to say that I love these wings!  I like them a lot more then the poster board version I made last year and they were a lot easier to make then the poster board wings (plus no exploding spray glue)!  The wire cutter can be taxing on your hands but not nearly as much as the Xacto knife cutting through extra thick poster board.  These new ones are much more sturdy as well.

The Renaissance Faire has a profound effect on me and seems to be inspiring me to make wings each year.  There is a possibility I may return to the faire this season and if so these wings are coming along for the trip!

Supplies:

  • Copper Wire/Floral Wire (I had 4 6’ pieces from the $1 store and then I used probably another 6’ possibly a bit more)
  • You can also use wire hangers.  I suggest only using them for the outside of the frame.
  • Clear Laminate
  • Cellophane
  • Wire cutters
  • Duct Tape
  • Lighter
  • Spray Paint
  • Felt
  • Flowers
  • Ribbon
  • Imagination


Optional:

  • Paint
  • Glitter
  • Garland
  • Anything you want to decorate with



I did not decorate my wings with paint or glitter but prior to putting the final piece of cellophane on each wing you can paint designs onto the cellophane, add some glitter, whatever your heart desires.  Another thing I have seen done is burning small holes in the wings with incense.  I am sure you could use a lighter or possibly a match but I think the incense is the easiest and safest way to do this as it stays “lit” with no flame and you can just pop holes in the wings.

There is also another method using shrink wrap and a hair dryer, but I didn’t see any tutorials on this.  I am also thinking this could feasibly be a great option with a semi transparent fabric and light interfacing (as long as both are light).  No one wants heavy wings.

Below are places I have found my fairy wing inspiration.

I hope you like my wings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!