Friday, September 6, 2013

Wigs! Wigs! Wigs in Storage!


It always surprises me to find out that many people do not know how to properly care for their wigs.

When I first started buying wigs two years ago, the first thing I did was look into proper maintenance. I am that kind of geek that likes to make sure my things stay brand new. I don’t like breaking the binding on a book, I must have the nicest dust jacket and I will search for the DVD with the nicest slipcase. I also cringe when that same DVD gets tossed into a shopping bag. “It’s dented now. You don’t understand how much time it took to find one that was perfect.” Sigh.

So I figured I would write down how I take care of my wigs. This is not about how to wear them because I am still figuring that one out and maybe when I get it down to a routine I will share that information.

Here it is, how I store my wigs:

  1. Comb the wigs with a wide tooth comb and gently to avoid pulling the synthetic fibers out of shape. Think of a Barbie with “fried” hair from being pulled by those tiny combs. That is not how you want your wig to look like.
     
  2. If need be, wash them with shampoo and conditioner made specifically for synthetic hair. These brands are not as harsh as typical shampoo and will help keep your wigs looking fresh much longer than regular shampoo will. Regular shampoo is too harsh for synthetic hair. I thought this was a wise tale after hearing so many people tell me they use regular shampoo, but then I asked some hair dressers who confirmed that special shampoo is best. Wigs are an investment and I think they should be treated as such. I was recommended to use the brand Branywine by Ricky’s. It’s worked wonderfully and it smells delicious. In a pinch you can use it on real hair but personally I would rather stick to using it on synthetic.
     
  3. So in regards to washing your wigs the method is: comb, submerge in COLD shampoo water, swish wigs around, let them soak, drain sink, rinse wigs, fill sink with COLD conditioner water, submerge wigs, swish around, let them soak, drain sink, rinse wigs and hang them to dry. DO NOT COMB UNLESS WIGS ARE DRY. If you comb them while wet you run the risk of ruining the shape of the wig. Always use COLD water as hot water can deactivate the shape of the wig.
     
  4. With a dry combed wig (don’t they feel fluffy and smell wonderful????) put the hair net on the wig starting from the top to the bottom. Generally anything to do with wigs says to start from the back of the wig (putting it on), but I find with the hair nets that the longer hair falls out if I start from the bottom of the wig.
     
  5. Lay the now netted wig down with the cap facing up. Take the bottom of the wig and gently roll the hair up until it’s rolled into the cap.
     
  6. Place the wig into a zip lock bag (or whatever you use for storage). I use large zip lock bags and then place them in a plastic bin allocated for wigs alone.

Ta-da! Well taken care of wigs that should last a bit longer. So far mine are all pretty good. I have one wig that might be up for replacement and that’s because I have worn it for a few costumes and in the rain and such. I think the elements affected it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!