Sunday, September 7, 2014

2014 SYC Regatta

Yesterday, I was in a sailing regatta.

This was my third regatta and by far my favorite.  I am not a sailor.  As of yesterday I have been on a sailing boat exactly four times.  The first being when I was in high school and it was not enjoyable.  The other three were all in the SYC Regatta.

I love being on the water.  Any opportunity to be out at sea I am pretty much up for.  Being that I had been sick all week and was only just starting to feel better, I decided it would be a good idea to take anti-nausea medicine and luckily it worked without causing me to fall asleep on the boat!

So the first regatta I was in we had storm weather and the wind and sea was so rough that I could do little but hang on and hope to not get sick.  The second regatta I sailed in was canceled due to rain.  We were already out on the boat.  This year it was beautiful.

The previous two years I was on a small sailing boat.  This year I requested a bigger boat.  I enjoyed the larger boat much more.  It might be the boat, but it could also be the company on the boat.  Our captain was wonderful and had three crew members plus the three volunteers novices (I was a volunteer).

My job was basically to sit on the high side.  Yup.  That's it.  I go from port to starboard adding weight to the high side.  They had more then enough people for tacking.  I am also unsure of how much strength tacking involves because it looks like a nice arm workout.  There is no way I could imagine working the main.  The terminology completely looses me let alone what lines are choked where.  They especially lost me talking about the race route.  It sounded like drunk algebra and I like algebra.

It was a wonderful day.  Afterwards we were all treated to the skipper party.  After some confusion I finally found the vegetarian station.  It was exactly the same as the meat station but without meat.  Plus the one waitress handing out appetizers really spoiled me with spanakopita and potato puffs.  The food was pretty good.  A beautiful and hot day of sailing followed by some good food and it was all to raise money for Pancreatic Cancer.  I can't ask for more then that.

Enjoy some pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!