Saturday, September 6, 2014

My First Trip to Dragon*Con

Most people go on vacation to meet strangers, but their is a special percentage of people that get to go on vacation with almost all of their friends across the country.  I can't imagine a better way to get away from daily life.

I think the costuming community is so lucky to have a convention that attracts people from all corners of the US, people from across the seas, known skilled cosplayers, brand new cosplayers, amazing photographers, and more all at one convention in Atlanta.  Us costumers are certainly very lucky indeed.

I must apologize for the delay in my post about Dragon*Con, but I have a reason!  While at Dragon*Con, I was indeed struck with the dreaded con plague.  However, I did not know I was sick until Sunday as I just thought I had a sore throat from humidity and dry air, and was tired from my Epstein Bar acting up.  Thankfully, I wasn't in full sick mode until I got home Monday.  So I didn't spend the entire convention sick in bed (but I did sleep a lot at night).

Anyway, Dragon*Con was a lot of fun.  I saw a lot of friends that I haven't seen in over a year.  I was able to meet online costuming friends face to face.  I also met some new friends. 

I loved the Dealers Room.  Absolutely loved it.  I took home quite a few business cards.  The Dealer Room was also inspiring.  I am hoping to go to the PA Ren Faire and finally use my fairy wings.  Now I have a few other fun ideas for fairewear.

Here are two of the companies I really liked:

Morlock Enterprises (www.morelockenterprises.com): these guys make amazing metal pieces.  They have steampunk goggles with meal covers and colored gels.  They also have metal masks, metal crowns (Aurora), tiaras (Wonder Woman and Sailor Moon), Scarlett Witch head piece and more.  The work was amazing.

Altruistic (www.AllTru2U.com): they have wooden geek wall clocks, wooden geek swords (including Thundercats and MotU), wooden wall decals, and t-shirts.

The cosplay at Dragon*Con was outstanding.  If I was a photographer I think my head would spin.  Thankfully, I am not.  I was satisfied just seeing the stunning cosplays and getting pictures of the ones I just happened to be close enough for.

I got to participate in a few photo shoots.  I have done shoots in the past but nothing to the caliber of the shoots at Dragon*Con because these shoots involved quite a few people.  So many people in fact that the directors were literally playing model Tetris.

I really enjoyed Dragon*Con.  While I can't come back next year I may try to come back for 2016.  If you haven't been, it's definitely worth the trip.

Though if I go again, I would like to spend a week and see Atlanta more.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, let us know when you wanna go to the PA Ren Faire, Joey and I can meet you out there. Plus Josh lives out that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I was thinking either next weekend (super soon probably a bad idea) or the weekend of the 27th because I may not be at Retro now. How late does it run?

      Delete

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!