Sunday, June 7, 2015

NYC Weekend Roller Coaster

Currently, I am on a full train headed back home. It's been a whirlwind of a weekend full of roller coaster emotions.


One of the primary things that has been affecting my mood is my short hair. I will never ever take back doing St Baldricks and I do not regret it one bit but it's been a hard hit on my self esteem.  It's one of those things you don't realize help define you until it's suddenly so different.

So I have been very hard on myself and down. I have noticed changes in how people treat me. Both good and bad. Both from friends and strangers. So it's been very interesting and while I go through this more awkward part of hair growth I have been in hiding.

This weekend was Special Edition:NYC. I had such a great time lady year that I was really looking forward to it this year.  I forewarned people about my funky mood and my very real need for laughs.  For the most part my friends (my true great friends) really helped a lot.  I am tearing up writing this.  So sensitive.  There really is something so magically about some of the people I have come to know in which just being around them makes all the worries go away. I slept so well last night for the first time in at least a week.

Yesterday, I cosplayed as New 52 Huntress at the request of a friend. They needed a Huntress for a DC shoot.  So I got to be a part of the big DC shoot which was a confusing time but also a fun time.  I missed some group shots both because I left early (my feet were dying) and since I do not know DC well I am really not aware of all the groups Huntress is associated with. Whoops.  Turns out I really did do damage to my feet. There is something about this show and blisters because the same thing happened last year and that never happens to me.

I bought two adorable pairs of earrings at the show: Captain America and Spider-Man spiders. But that was it which is pretty unusual for me.

I am very much not a fan of Pier 94. I had been there before at the 2009 Apple Con.  I don't care for it.  I don't care for it so much that I didn't return to the show today even though I have a weekend pass. It's sad that a great show can be affected so much by the venue alone.

Today, however, I traveled through Manhattan. First hitting up Ricky's for body paint which I need for both Jem and Stormer. So we know what I will be doing later.  They had a high pigment green eyeshadow that I picked up also and brush cleaner because I have never ever done that.  Another thing I will be doing later. 

I left there and went to the Disney Store looking for a particular Disney plush that has not been in production but you never know!  I had to travel around NYC with my suitcase. This was very unfortunate as in the Disney Store I had a female security guard trailing me the entire store by two feet. It was mortifying and I left nearly in tears.

Then since I had my luggage I was going to skip Midtown Comics, but at SE I was unable to find any of the Jem comics and that's what I really wanted to look for there.  So I trekked up the large staircase anyway making the people at the top wait (remember I am scared of falling down stairs).  I walk in and the cashier who was ringing someone up says "hi."  I said "hi." She then asks if I would like to keep my suit case behind the counter and I would LOVE that!  They gave me a ticket to reclaim it. I found my Jem comics.  All is now better in my world.  Oh, I also got to use the 20% off coupon from the show so I got a sweet discount.

It's been a roller coaster weekend.  I am still upset about something's I can't discuss but I have some wonderful friends.  After this weekend I really should move to Philly or Jersey. I would probably be happier overall.