Friday, July 24, 2015

Remember to Take Care

Time doesn't always fly when you are having fun, it also flies when you are horribly distracted.


I have come to realize a few things recently.  One is that I can't just have a side hobby.  It consumes my world unless I put very real limits on what I do.  The second is that I have not been doing a good job of taking care of myself, personal affairs, or home in the last few years.

I took a day off of work because I had a doctors appointment on Wednesday which is now leading to a surgery consultation this coming week.  It's completely my choice. This is not a surgery I have to have, but it is one that will lead to more general comfort.  I am not willing to say what the surgery is for publicly yet.

In my migraine research, I learned that tooth problems can aid in the cause of migraines.  It dawned on me that I could not remember the last time I had a cleaning.  I used to go every six months on the dot.  I had a cleaning and then a root canal in 2010.  I had not returned afterward.  I have no fear of the dentist.  I love having healthy teeth, but the realization that I forgot about regular cleanings for 5 years is a pretty huge red flag for me.  So while I had Wednesday off, I scheduled a dentist appointment.

I actually got a lot of good news from my hygienist.  But I can talk about that another time.  The end result of part one of my dentist visit is that my teeth have gotten healthier since I was last their.  I am going to go on a limb and say diet has a lot to do with that.

It's been a big doctors week.  I also went to my regular doctor today.  Lots of different things.

Last weekend, I almost started a house fire by turning the wrong burner on and not paying attention.  I have burner covers on my stove top.  So I melted a burner cover and very suddenly realized this is the first time I have been in an apartment without a fire extinguisher.  I did purchase one afterwards.  I made sure it was a metal extinguisher so in the case that I do need to use it, it can be recharged.  It also said rechargeable on the packaging.

I am also not keeping up with a tidy home as I would like to be and I am unhappy with how I have been over the years slowly decreasing my interest in making myself presentable.  I am overworked, overwhelmed, and distracted in so many ways.  To top it off, my Granny is not exactly sick, but winding down.  I need to spend more time with her.

Because of all this I am very much considering taking a year or two off from costuming.  I also had some very unpleasant experiences this year within the local community that have made me feel a lot less welcome costuming.

I need to take time away to recharge, reboot, and reestablish healthy habits that I have slowly lost.  Some hobbies are easy to set aside and do in bits and pieces.  Costuming is often all consuming and while I try very hard to prevent that from happening it still does.  I think my original plans this year were for two to three costumes.  As of now I will be finishing up 2015 with seven instead.  Every year, I say I will sew in the winter and I will just wear costumes for the summer.  It never happens like that and I can't keep pretending.

I have this funny feeling that with taking a break, coming back I may dive deeper into Disney cosplay.  Currently, that's where my comfort is.  I would love to do a Peasant Belle and maid Cinderella.  It's a thought for the future.

Oh and bonus, if I am not sewing and stressing about cosplays all the time, I can spend more time blogging.  Make no mistake I am not breaking from the blogs or conventions, just costuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well hello there lovely, please leave a comment!