Sunday, August 14, 2016

Taking Apart my Trapeze Bar

When I came back to trapeze I was met with the horrifying statement of "we think you're trapeze is no longer safe."


After experiencing a failing trapeze (made by the same company) this is not something I ever wanted to hear.  I was truly petrified of the failed trapeze and even after it being fixed I still do not like being on it. Somethings stick to your memory like gum.  I remember what that trapeze felt like, the natural rips in the leather, and I remember the one rope thimble feeling empty.  When we opened the sock, we found the rope was in fact no longer spliced and coming apart so much that the thimble was exposed.  Had we been doing series of drops the rope could have pulled right out of the sock potentially injuring someone.

So I went back to class and thoroughly felt the thimbles on my bar.  They felt as they always have.  So I went about my business with no worry.

A few weeks ago my coach mentioned to me that he thought it would be worth checking if the rope was failing.  I did mention that I personally did not think it was but I trust him more then most people.

This evening while he was working with another student pulling some of the filling from her bar's socks, I figured I had some time.  So I opened my trapeze up...

However, instead of straight up cutting into the leather on the sock, I chose to pull the leather cord stitching from the bottom of the sock out.  I assumed that this was how it closed up after everything is put together.  I was right.  After opening that part up it gave me a nice opening to pull the leather part of the sock down the rope.  I then discovered what I had forgotten about the previous trapeze.  Inside the leather sock is ANOTHER sock made fully of hockey tape.  This was not something I could easily undo, so I cut enough of the tape apart to pop open the polyfill and expose the thimble.

As luck would have it, my rope splicing is 100% intact regardless of the uneven ropes.  It's interesting to see the inside splicing of a trapeze bar that is not failing though.

Yup.  Safe.  Check out all the fluff.


I then tucked the poly fill and taped sock back into place.  I used my white coach tape to patch up the cut I had to make.  I fought the leather sock back into place by holding the rope with my toes and began lacing the leather cord back through.

And back together!


It's pretty sweet to know my bar is safe.  I also trust my judgement.  I have been feeling the socks on that trapeze since 2013 (when the other bar failed).  I know my bar but now we can all have peace of mind.

Here is a picture of my toe hang from last weekend.  I didn't get anything today that I can share.  My coach told us back in 2012 when we started working with him that anything he teaches he does not want video of online or pictures without consent.  However, a toe hang is just a toe hang and I am pretty proud of it.  I didn't do this well with it today and eventually I will work my toes in but I am still happy I got this far.

No hands!!!!!