Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Exceptional 5 Days of Vacation!

Because of NYCC I took Thursday and Friday off of work. I was off Monday for Columbus Day. Overall, I did loads of relaxing and sleeping but other things happened too. 

So Thursday I was at NYCC and I had a great time hanging out with two of my male friends that I don't see often.  I found myself very grateful to have them with me when I saw one of my nightmare ex's friends twice. Whom I am certain it took us both several minutes to realize who the other was. Miraculously I didn't have an anxiety attack over this but this particular person never gave me reason to be of alarm then or now. He's actually a pretty cool guy and if anything we were both badly burned by my ex but that doesn't mean I will be open to chatting with him or want those memories in my space.  So I found myself exceptionally grateful to have two great guys with me during those moments.  Outside of having guys with me it was an exceptional refocus. Good friends whether they realize it or not help keep my mind out of the crapper. 

Thursday night I went to an after party at Shangri-Las (I love that name because I love the 60s girl group).  My bestie was hosting and I got to hang out with the Long Island Ghostbusters, two friends from Philly, and another I rarely get to see. Seeing my Philly friends and the people of that cosplay area from my days at Wizard is a massive endorphin boost. I miss that crowd so much and this may make for another future post. 

Friday I spent sleeping. Outside of a doctors appointment that I was barely awake for I slept all day and night. The few times I was up my calves were rejecting me from all the walking I did Thursday. It amazes me that I can walk for 9 hours at a convention and only feel pain in the bottom of my feet but get an amazing leg work out. Yet when I walk 4 miles at the park I wind up stressing out my shins to where I have to take time off.  My shins get stressed out not my calves. 

Saturday, I slept a lot but I also finally sewed my red rockabilly dress!  I cut the patterns/fabric for this long ago.  The pattern called for 5/8" seam allowance which I thought was too big and turns out I should have used 3/8" like I normally do. The dress wound up a bit too small. Eek!

Sunday, I had an amazing static trapeze class. I finally feel back. I am finally starting to feel more fluid and trusting myself. The class energy is amazing to boot.  No superstars. We all bounce energy off each other and yet work independently.  While one student was working with the trapeze very low, I tried a trick I have been frightened of since I not only fell but got trapped in the trapeze (not mine) back in April. This time knowing the trapeze was low I figured if I fell again at least I wouldn't be trapped in the air since the mat was about 2 feet below me. I did the trick TWICE. It's not polished by far but I did it and unassisted.  Now I was feeling daring and went for a spin on my friends trapeze that was higher yet still low. This is a spin we had learned my first day back and I wound up cracking my toe on the bar. I have done it a few times since but sporadically. I did this TWICE unassisted and squealed after the first time. It's the first time I have done it without feeling like I was going to slip off. We have been working on other things but I also toyed with old tricks. Most of my static tricks I have been told to not put online (particularly in the last two weeks as students have been asking).  However, I can put up the older tricks. 



Sunday night, I fixed the Rock and Roll Forever Jem dress. 

Today, I wasn't myself. I slept in because I could. I got up around 1pm after having loads of night sweats (somewhat common for me).  I woke up drenched twice and I sleep with a sheet and a fleece blanket. My heat is not on intentionally.  I know I will heat myself so I haven't turned it on but last night was exceptional.

I went out to Joann's for a sports zipper to fix the size issue on the rockabilly dress. While in Joann's I started overheating. To add to this it felt like my brain was shaking with every step (and noise). Not fun. When I made it out of Joann's, I sat in my car for awhile with the AC on blast. It's mid-October and it was 62* when I blasted the AC in the car. Thankfully I had the AC fixed. I got home around 4/5pm and laid back in bed only to wake up at 8:30pm. Sleeping the day away... 

I decided to at least add this zipper fix to my dress. I went with this type of zipper because the coils are plastic and the tape is wide. I removed the original zipper and put this one in so that only the very edges of the tape were sewn in. It added about 1 inch to the dress and now it fits pretty perfectly.  I am not thrilled with how ugly that zipper looks on the side but for now I have a waspie corset I can wear with it. 


Alas it's time to hit the shower and the sheets before starting my first two job day tomorrow (today actually). Sigh.